Click to Home
Go To Search
emergency alert off
Block Party Permits
What a Block Party is
Block Parties can range from simple gatherings in a neighbor's yard to neighborhood events including food and entertainment that occupy the entire street. They are allowed for only those residents of the block attending. 

Block Parties allow you the opportunity to get to know your neighbors, which will facilitate looking out for each other when suspicious circumstances may occur in your area.

Block parties are allowed up until 10:00 pm only. Please remember that noise travels and some residents in surrounding areas may wish to retire at that hour.

What a Block Party is NOT
Private parties celebrating birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, etc. do not fall within these guidelines and would cause traffic problems with cars of visitors parking in the surrounding area.

What to do
Wauwatosa City Ordinance Chapter 12.40 states that any party that includes occupying the street right of way requires a permit that must be returned to the Police Department at least 3 weeks prior to the event.

First priority is for one neighbor to act as chairperson and complete the necessary paperwork which includes gathering neighbor signatures and also contacting any non-residential establishments in the immediate vicinity that would be affected by the closing of the street. The petition for a permit must be returned a minimum of 3 weeks prior to the block party.

The permit also facilitates acquiring barricades for the street closure or block party banners for the barricades. 
  • For a $35 fee (payable with your application) the Public Works Department will deliver two (2) barricades before the party and at the conclusion of the party with placement of barricades on curb area the City truck and crew will pick up the barricades the following work day.
  • Block party banners are available from Community Support on a first come, first served basis with a $25 deposit which will be returned when you return the banner.

Where to get an application/petition 
Petition forms can be obtained at the Police Department Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm at the front desk, or you can download a Block Party Permit Application/Petition.

IntranetPortal | 7725 W. North Avenue | Wauwatosa, WI 53213 | Phone: (414) 479-8900 | Legal Notices | Privacy | Accessibility | Copyright Notice | Powered by CivicPlus