Public Construction News
Plans for public construction are developed, bid, and awards made by the Common Council. The Engineering Services Division oversees construction of the public works contracts.
Below is a map of the major projects throughout the city. The larger projects such as Watertown Plank Area Sewer and the North Avenue Improvements have their own dedicated page for project updates, scope, history and useful links.
You can sign up for "Notify Me" for this page or any of the Project Webpages identified below available through the City’s website to receive email or text notifications of construction activities and project updates.
Use the attached link to sign up for Construction News
at "Notify Me"
Please click on the flowing links for information about these projects or use the button in the navigation pane to the left.
Milwaukee Avenue Utility and Street Reconstruction
Menomonee River Parkway Project
Zoo Interchange Project
The project is now in the fourth year of the seven year construction schedule. The first years were focused on ‘building the box’ around the Zoo Interchange and is complete. These improvements to the local roads will now start seeing the increased traffic as various ramp closures and detours route traffic off the interstate now that work has started on Core Phase 1 of the Zoo Interchange.
Projects currently underway or coming soon are:
• 84th Street under I-94, the bi-directional traffic has shifted to the southbound lane. Because of this work the intersection of 84th and Honey Creek Parkway will be closed until early June. (The westbound exit and westbound entrance ramps will reopen in late spring and early summer). See WisDOT flyer.
• 92nd Street over I-94, the bridge closed on February 3rd until late 2015. See WisDOT flyer.
• Zoo Interchange ramp, I-94 West to I-894/US 45 South closed until fall 2017 See WisDOT flyer.
• Zoo Interchange ramp, I-894/US 45 North to I-94 West system ramp closed until late 2015 See WisDOT flyer.
• US 45 pavement resurfacing between Burleigh and Silver Spring. The work will occur overnight and will require nighttime lane restrictions. There will be periodic full freeway and ramp closures. The project is slated for completion Fall 2015. See WisDOT flyer.
• WIS 100 entrance ramp to I-94 East will close March 23 until late spring. See WisDOT flyer.
• US 45 South Ramp to I-94 West will close March 26 for one week. See WisDOT flyer.
• The Bluemound Bridge reconstruction is progressing well on schedule to reopen by June 1, 2015. See WisDOT flyer.
• Wisconsin Avenue Bridge over US 45 will close for reconstruction in early June / immediately following the opening of the Bluemound Bridge.
• The Center Street Bridge and Pedestrian Bridge are currently in design and are slated to be part of the North Leg Project to be let in August of 2016.
Please use the attached link to the WisDOT Zoo Interchange Website. This is a great source to find the latest updates, as well as, newsletters, Roadway Designs, and FAQ’s.
Here is the Zoo Interchange website link: WisDOT Zoo Interchange
Burleigh Road Project
The 2015 work along Burleigh Road between Mayfair Road to US 45 is the planning/design phase and will be a continuation of the work completed in 2014. This is an important project that will support the new retail development in the area including the Mayfair Collection and Meijer Store as well as planned future development. It will also become an important link between East and West Wauwatosa with bike and pedestrian improvements established through the Master Plan.
The US 45 on and off ramps will be modified and the entrance to the Mayfair Collection was reconfigured. Additional color-enhanced crosswalks are being added at 114th Street and 112th and a multi-purpose asphalt sidewalk is being installed along the north curb of Burleigh Road. The project will be completed in 2015 when the asphalt road will be milled and resurfaced.