Click to Home
Go To Search
emergency alert off
Prohibited Items
Certain items are never picked up at the curb, either as special or regular collections. These items include:

Prohibited Items
Item Curb Pick-Up Drop-Off Center  Alternate (Also see Resources & Publications Page)
Computers (Free, except monitors) No Yes (NEW!-4/13/15) Goodwill Industries - Wauwatosa Facility, 12121 W. Feerick St.
Gas or Propane Tanks  No No 
Grass Clippings No No Leave on lawn or DNR Recycling and Outreach
Pesticides, Herbicides, Solvents, or Chemicals No No MMSD or Wisconsin DNR
Medical or Pharmaceutical Waste / Syringes / Sharps No No See Health Department 
Hazardous Household Waste          No No MMSD or Wisconsin DNR
Vehicle Batteries No No Return to retailers
Tires  No  Yes - Fee Based  or return to retailers

Motor Oil 

No Yes - Free   

Latex, Oil, or Lead Paints
Latex paint must be completely used up or dried out. The empty or dry cans can be collected with regular garbage. Latex, oil, or lead paints, as well as other household hazardous wastes, can be taken to the free disposal facility or mobile collection sites. View more information about household hazardous waste.

Disposing of Prescription Medications
Periodically, Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewage District holds Medication Collection Days as well. MMSD is planning to have another Medicine Collection Day in the spring of 2010. If you can store old medications safely, keeping it out of the reach of kids and people who abuse drugs, save it until the next medicine collection.

If you need to get unused medications out of your home, the federal government recommends throwing them in the garbage. Grind up old capsules, tablets or pills and mix them with coffee grounds or something nasty that no one would want to eat. Or, dissolve pills in a jar or can with water and kitty litter. The garbage is NOT a perfect option. Most landfills collect liquid that seeps through the landfill and drain it to a sanitary sewer. Waste-water treatment plants are not designed to remove all medicine from waste-water.

Tires can be taken to the Drop-Off Center for $5 each, and used motor oil can be dropped off there for free. Car or truck batteries should be taken back to retailers or to private scrap dealers.

Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center (SHWEC) University of Wisconsin-Extension
For more information, please contact the Department of Public Works Operations Division at
(414) 471-8422. | Email

IntranetPortal | 7725 W. North Avenue | Wauwatosa, WI 53213 | Phone: (414) 479-8900 | Legal Notices | Privacy | Accessibility | Copyright Notice | Powered by CivicPlus