- check that all exterior doors are closed and locked.
- check that all motion sensor areas are clear of moving signs, displays, reflective/helium balloons, etc.
Personnel Make Sure
- all users have proper knowledge of codes
- all users know how to cancel a false alarm quickly.
- Train ALL personnel periodically in proper alarm operating procedures and false alarm prevention.
- Report any arming or disarming problems to your alarm company immediately.
- If the system was installed for one type of facility and remodeling occurs, the alarm should be inspected for suitability to the changes that have been made.
- Carefully arrange all decorations, banners and displays. Floating balloons can interfere with motion detectors and activate alarms.
- Replace main battery to meet manufacturer specifications.
- If you can’t identify the cause of the activation, contact your alarm company to have your motion detectors checked along with basic equipment.
- Heat rises and can cause enough motion to activate alarms, as can air conditioning currents.
- Motion detectors easily detect small animals (birds, cats, rodents, etc.). Use caution against their entering the premises.
- Schedule routine system maintenance and checks by the alarm company.
Alarmed areas must be protected from access. Security systems must not be the only barrier - all alarmed doors should have secure locks, also!