Applicants for restaurant, retail food, farmer’s market, temporary food event, hotel/motel, and public swimming pool licenses should follow the following procedure to meet Health Department requirements:
- Obtain an application from WHD or access the electronic forms below.
- Complete the form and return it with the appropriate fee to WHD.
- If available, plans of the establishment may be submitted to WHD for review and conformance with current health codes.
- The WHD sanitarian will contact the applicant to establish an estimated opening date and to arrange for a pre-licensing on-site inspection. WHD at (414) 479-8939 or via Email to schedule.
- The sanitarian will perform a pre-licensing inspection of the establishment. The initial pre-licensing inspection shall be made within 30 days after the license application is received.
- The applicant is then advised in writing of deficiencies noted during the inspection. The sanitarian will inform the applicant of the corrective actions needed and arrange a time for a follow-up inspection.
- When the establishment and applicant have complied with current health code requirements, the license will be approved. Approval will be noted on the final pre-licensing inspection report form.
- WHD will issue the license when all required approvals are received. Most licenses require additional approvals by other City departments.
- The license year runs from July 1 through June 30; renewal applications are sent out to current license holders in May.
License Application Forms
Refer to A Guide to Selling Food in the City of Wauwatosa for information regarding City of Wauwatosa approvals required for opening a food or restaurant business.