Village Reconstruction & Streetscaping
As part of the State Street reconstruction project, the City has taken a comprehensive approach to evaluating design options for the Village area. Since February 2015 there have been 35 public meetings on this project seeking community input and feedback on the project.
The project began with the need to replace old infrastructure and road surface along State Street from 68th Street to Church Street. It was determined that the project scope should expand to serve the entire Village and include streetscaping and wayfinding. A key objective of this project is to develop a streetscape solution for the Village that allows for the continued movement of automobile traffic while creating a safe pedestrian-oriented retail and dining destination. The design decisions were made as part of the larger context including other intersections in the Village and the future use of Root Common and Pocket Parks.
Project limits as seen on the phasing map are Wauwatosa Ave from Harmonee to State Street, Root Common and Pocket Park redesign, Harwood from Wauwatosa Ave to Mower Court and Underwood from Harmonee to Milwaukee.
Current Status Update
Construction in the Village is proceeding and the warmer weather the last few weeks has helped crews continue to work, but now that we are in December work is slowing down for the year. Staff anticipates that electrical work, retaining walls, and wayfinding elements will be installed as long as weather permits. Projects left to complete are:
Project Scope and Design Information
- The water main on State Street between 72nd and 74th Streets is ongoing and will likely be completed later this month. This work was pushed into 2017 to shorten 2018 construction.
- Signals at Underwood & Harmonee and Wauwatosa & State
- Lighting and signage at various locations
- Remaining portion of Blanchard and Wauwatosa near State Street Station - this work is pending completion of State Street Station
- Remaining portion of Underwood and Harmonee by Harmonee Square - this work is pending completion of Harmonee Square
- Retaining walls in Root Common and Pocket Parks
- Decorative elements in the parks
- Various sidewalk installations
- Final paving and pavement marking - this will be the last item completed, most likely in summer 2018
Construction Planned in 2017 - Spring 2019
Work in 2017 and Spring of 2018 includes Wauwatosa Ave from Blanchard to Harmonee, including Pocket Park and Root Common. Harwood from Wauwatosa to Mower Ct and Underwood from Harmonee to Milwaukee Ave will also receiving upgrades and streetscaping treatment. Final landscaping will be completed in the spring of 2018. Updates to Root Common Park and Pocket Park will continue through winter 2017. Work in 2018 will be on State Street from 68th Street to Wauwatosa, adding a new walkway and fence along the railroad tracks on the south side of State St. with a pedestrian crossing of the tracks at 74th Street.