The City of Wauwatosa’s Transportation Affairs Committee (TAC) recently commissioned a study that was prepared by a consulting team to assist the City in evaluating parking needs on and around North Avenue from Wauwatosa Avenue to 60th Street. The consultant team completed a report after they reviewed existing policies, engaged the community, collected & analyzed data, and reviewed best management practices. Please click to download the full report and/or final presentation.
The TAC has discussed the recommendations contained within the report and is asking for input from the community prior to implementation of any new parking restrictions. The following items are being considered for possible implementation:
- Implement a consistent parking restriction on North Avenue from Wauwatosa Avenue to 60th Street consisting of 2-Hour Parking from 9AM-6PM, except Sundays and Holidays
- Create signage on North Avenue to inform drivers of the existing parking restrictions that are consistently a problem for neighbors in the area such as no parking within 4 feet of driveways or 15 feet of crosswalks
- Prohibit parking on the North side of Meinecke Avenue and the South side of Garfield Avenue from 74th Street to 60th Street
- Install 4 Hour Parking Restrictions on the North side of Garfield from 74th to 72nd and on the south side of Garfield from Wauwatosa Avenue to 74th
- Paint curbs adjacent to all driveways, hydrants, and cross walks on the west side of 69th Street between Garfield and North as a pilot project in the spring of 2017. If positive results are shown consider a resident initiated program that may consist of a small fee.
- Begin discussions related to costs and planning necessary to offer a parking permit system to be implemented only if requested by residents of an entire block.
- Encourage all business owners along North Avenue to start a shared parking district as discussed in the report to allow for shared parking opportunities for patrons and employees.
The City will be hosting an open house style meeting followed by a formal presentation and discussion by the TAC. Your feedback is appreciated and we welcome your attendance at the meeting. If you are unable to attend the meeting or wish to instead share your opinion in writing please email David Simpson, Director of Public Works, directly at .
Transportation Affairs Committee Meeting
Tuesday, January 31st, 2017
5:30pm-6:30pm Open House
6:30pm Committee Meeting
Wauwatosa City Hall, Council Chambers
7725 W. North Avenue