Here are a few tips on how you can help yourself prepare your plumbing for the upcoming winter season. Take a little time to prepare your home before the cold weather sets in.
- Turn off your outside hose bib from inside the property and disconnect the hose.
- Make sure the area around the water meter is heated to prevent freezing.
- Make sure the water shut off valves on both sides of the water meter work properly so you can turn off your water in case of an emergency.
- Open cabinet doors under sinks to allow warmer air around the water pipes.
- During extreme cold weather, leave a small stream of cold water flowing through a faucet.