The Village Streetscaping Project Update January 6, 2017
Project Scope and Design Information
Link to Project 3-year Phasing Plan
Link to Phase 1 Design
Link to Project Rendering
Current Status -
Contractor continues with installation of site fixtures and water feature
Although the utility and road construction are complete the contractors will continue with the finish work over the next months, including the signage, fixtures and water feature. All of the roads in the Village will remain open. There will be additional utility work at the intersection of State Street and Wauwatosa Ave as part of The Village Redevelopment - Phase 2, which has its own webpage.
• Starting January 11th contractors will be working on utilities at the intersection of Wauwatosa and State Street as part of Phase 2. Flaggers will be present and through traffic will be maintained.
• The large tent in the plaza area provides a protected work area for the construction of the water feature which will continue over the next months.
• The new LED lighting has been installed and the electrical contractor will continue work on the decorative festoon string lighting.
• With the light pole installation complete in the Village, over the upcoming weeks contractors will be installing signage.
• The bollards (posts alongside the road and parking lanes) are scheduled to be installed over the next two weeks.
• Installation of site fixtures such as benches, bike racks and trash containers will be on-going and should be complete by end of January.
• The work activity projections are weather dependent and may require adjustments.
Example of the new LED lighting. The orange barrels will remain in place until bollards defining the road edge are installed.
Want to be up to date on What's Happening:
Contact for Project Information:
Construction Communication Liaison
City of Wauwatosa
Please utilize the “Notify Me” alert system available through the City’s website to receive email or text notifications of construction activities and project updates.
Use the attached link to sign up for the Village/State Street Streetscaping Project at "Notify Me":http://www.wauwatosa.net/list.aspx
As part of the planned State Street reconstruction project the City has taken a comprehensive approach to evaluating design
options for the entire Village area. Since February of 2015 there have been 35 public meetings on this project seeking community input about goals and objectives for the Village, as well as, feedback on design concepts from the general public, surrounding neighborhood associations, The Village Business Improvement District and City engineers and planners.
The project started with the need to replace old infrastructure and road surface along State Street from 68th Street to Church Street. It was determined that the project scope would expand to the entire Village and include streetscaping and wayfinding signage plans. A key objective of this project is to develop a streetscape solution for The Village and State Street that allows for the continued movement of automobile traffic while creating a safe pedestrian-oriented retail and dining destination. The design decisions were made as part of the larger context including other intersections in the Village and the future use of Root Common and Pocket Parks.
(Intersections included are Harmonee/Harwood; State/Wauwatosa; Harwood/Wauwatosa; State/Harwood; Underwood/State; Wauwatosa/Harwood). Those presentations are linked below.
• The project scope for the Phase 1 area scheduled for 2016 construction is: State Street/Menomonee River Parkway between Wauwatosa Avenue and Church Street; Harwood between State Street and Root Common; and Underwood between State Street and Harmonee Avenue. The project went out for bids February 2016 with construction starting in April and lasting until November of 2016.
• There has been some re-naming of the phases given the timing of the construction work and coordination with the railroads for the State Street design.
• Phase 2 is scheduled for winter 2016/spring 2017 and will involve infrastructure and utility upgrades to area surrounding the new State Street Station project. It includes Wauwatosa Ave, State Street, 74th St as well as Blanchard and St James.
• Phase 3 (still in 2017) involves the work on State Street from 68th Street to Wauwatosa and Harmonee intersection and Harwood Ave from Yo Mama’s to Mower Court. This phase will also include renovation of Root Common and Pocket Park.
• Phase 4 will address Harwood west of the Menomonee River to Glenview and Underwood from Harmonee north to Milwaukee Avenue.
The design team is currently working on Phase 3 which includes State Street from 68th to Pocket Park and Root Common and Harwood. The project will include the ongoing discussion for the Railroad Crossing at 74th Street. The majority of this work is anticipated for 2017.
Additional presentation information from past meetings:
2015_11_10 Transportation Committee Presentation
2015_10_28 Detailed review of project components
2015_10_22 Minutes – SSC Meeting 6
2015_08_04 Master Plan Presentation to the Transportation Committee
2015_07_16 Minutes - SSC Meeting 5
2015_07_09 Agenda – SSC Meeting 4
2015_06_18 Minutes - SSC Meeting 3
2015_06_11 Minutes REV - SSC Meeting 2
2015_05_28 Village Design Approach and Mission
2015_05_28 Design Goals Summary
2015_05_19 Public Post It Note comments
2015_05_19 Public Input Meeting 1
2015_02_25 SSC Meeting
2015_02_19 SSC Meeting
Resolution forming Streetscaping Steering Committee (SSC)