The Village Streetscaping Project Update
Phase 3 of the Village Reconstruction Project
begins May 1. Harmonee Avenue from Wauwatosa Avenue to State Street will be going down to 2 lanes (one in each direction) the week of May 1 through Labor Day. You may have already noticed the gas company working in this area, construction will continue with utility work by WE Energies and AT&T. Zignego, the City's contractor, will begin underground utility work mid-May.
as seen on the phasing map
are Wauwatosa Ave from Harmonee to State Street, Root Common and Pocket Park redesign, Harwood from Wauwatosa Ave to Mower Court and Underwood from Harmonee to Milwaukee.
From July 5th to Labor Day the intersection of Wauwatosa and Harwood will close to through traffic. The intersection is closing during construction for several reasons:
Pedestrian access to all businesses in the road closure area will be maintained.
- to allow for roadway realignment (Harwood will continue through as it did in the early '80's).
- to realize savings of taxpayer dollars to traffic control
- to allow for reconstruction of the utilities and roadway in tight quarters safely
- to shorten the construction timeline (construction can be done more efficiently when the road is closed)
This project is being done because the roads and underground utilities are at the end of their useful life. In fact, the water main in this area was installed in 1897.
Project Scope and Design Information
• As the underground utilities wrap up over the next few weeks the next step will be the new lighting and road reconstruction which began April.
PHASE 2 UPDATE
• For more Phase 2 information see the Phase 2 page.
PHASE 1 UPDATE
• The contractor continues to work on the water feature under the large tent in the plaza area. This will be a signature design element for The Village with water flowing down a trough and splashing onto a millstone. It will contain benches, edge lighting and plantings.
• With the warmer weather the contractors will be finishing the landscaping.
Want to be up to date on What's Happening:
Please utilize the Notify Me alert system available through the City’s website to receive email or text notifications by selecting the Village/State Street Streetscaping Project list.
As part of the planned State Street reconstruction project the City has taken a comprehensive approach to evaluating design options for the entire Village area. Since February of 2015 there have been 35 public meetings on this project seeking community input about goals and objectives for the Village, as well as, feedback on design concepts from the general public, surrounding neighborhood associations, The Village Business Improvement District and City engineers and planners.
The project began with the need to replace old infrastructure and road surface along State Street from 68th Street to Church Street. It was determined that the project scope should expand to serve the entire Village and include streetscaping and wayfinding. A key objective of this project is to develop a streetscape solution for The Village that allows for the continued movement of automobile traffic while creating a safe pedestrian-oriented retail and dining destination. The design decisions were made as part of the larger context including other intersections in the Village and the future use of Root Common and Pocket Parks.
(Intersections included are Harmonee/Harwood; State/Wauwatosa; Harwood/Wauwatosa; State/Harwood; Underwood/State; Wauwatosa/Harwood). The project schedule has needed to be responsive to other developments in the Village and on neighboring streets so the phasing has been modified.
• The project scope for the Phase 1 2016 construction was: State Street/Menomonee River Parkway between Wauwatosa Avenue and Church Street; Harwood between State Street and Root Common; and Underwood between State Street and Harmonee Avenue. This phase was substantially completed November of 2016 although the landscaping and punch-list items are scheduled to be finished by June 2017.
• There has been some modifications to the phasing of work given the necessary coordination with the railroads for the State Street design.
• Phase 2 (winter 2016/spring 2017) and will involve infrastructure and utility upgrades to area surrounding the new State Street Station project. This includes Wauwatosa Ave, State Street, 74th St as well as Blanchard and St James. The utility work will be completed by April 2017 with the paving, lighting and restoration to start in April 2017 through summer.
• Phase 3 (2017 / spring 2018) will complete Wauwatosa Ave from Blanchard to Harmonee, including Pocket Park and Root Common. Harwood from Wauwatosa to Mower Ct and Underwood from Harmonee to Milwaukee Ave will also receiving upgrades and streetscaping treatment. Final landscaping will be completed in the spring of 2018.
• Phase 4 (2018) involves the work on State Street from 68th Street to Wauwatosa and will add a new walkway and fence along the railroad tracks on the south side of State St. with a pedestrian crossing of the tracks at 74th Street.
The design team is currently working on Phase 4 which includes State Street from 68th to 74th Street will is scheduled for construction in 2018.
Additional presentation information from past meetings:
2015_11_10 Transportation Committee Presentation
2015_10_28 Detailed review of project components
2015_10_22 Minutes – SSC Meeting 6
2015_08_04 Master Plan Presentation to the Transportation Committee
2015_07_16 Minutes - SSC Meeting 5
2015_07_09 Agenda – SSC Meeting 4
2015_06_18 Minutes - SSC Meeting 3
2015_06_11 Minutes REV - SSC Meeting 2
2015_05_28 Village Design Approach and Mission
2015_05_28 Design Goals Summary
2015_05_19 Public Post It Note comments
2015_05_19 Public Input Meeting 1
2015_02_25 SSC Meeting
2015_02_19 SSC Meeting
Resolution forming Streetscaping Steering Committee (SSC)