The Village Streetscaping Project Update week of September 27
Getting around The Village:
• Automobile access in The Village will be further limited during the months of September and October as the contractors work on the road surface and the pavers.
• The night-time one-way westbound access on State Street will be closed when the contractors start working on the pavers. This is to ensure proper conditions for the installation and to maximize the contractor’s efficiency reducing the time needed for paver installation.
• Harwood will open when possible once the roadway base is installed and if the contractors are not working on the pavers in State Street. If construction activity is occurring in State Street, Harwood becomes a two way street to allow traffic to turn around and exit where they entered.
• Underwood is a one-way street and is only open when traffic from Harwood can access the road (when State St at Noodles has a clear lane).
• Pedestrian access is maintained to the businesses at all times although small detours may be necessary based on where the contractors are working.
Contact for Project Information:
Construction Communication Liaison
City of Wauwatosa
Project Scope and Design Information
Link to Project 3-year Phasing Plan
Link to Phase 1 Design
Link to Project Rendering
Link to Detour Map
Lane Closures on Harmonee Bridge Continue
Work is in progress on the west half of the Harmonee Bridge and is expected to last two more weeks depending on weather.
Due to heavy traffic volumes during morning and evening commutes it is recommended you use alternate routes.
Installation of curb and gutter to wrap up this week
This week the contractor is finishing the curb and gutter installation followed by removal of the wood bridges over the gaps in the sidewalk and restoration of the concrete walkway. At the same time the electricians are installing the bases for the new lighting. We will also see roadway base in the central area of the Village by the end of this week weather permitting.
Since you cannot drive on concrete for a week and work will start on the pavers we will be eliminating the nighttime one-way westbound traffic and the State St detour will be in effect at all times until the road pavers are complete (about three weeks).
• The current plan is for the contractor to start on the pavers in the north sidewalks (around Noodles) the week of October 3rd.
• The week of October 10 the will start the pavers in the central area of the Village and expand to the east and west from there. The contractor is planning on working 12 hour days to decrease the overall time for installation.
• The south sidewalk in front of Chancery will be completely removed as they work on the hollow walks. The contractor will provide access to the entries once they remove the concrete sidewalk.
• The work on the streets will be continuous and throughout the entire project area. This is the reason for the extended closure of Harwood and Underwood. The closures will continue into mid-October but there will be sidewalks and road surfaces added in phases. Once it is safe we will look to open the road for parking access.
• Portions of the plaza between Hollander and Bavaria will experience closures in October for the construction of the new fountain and the reconstruction of that space. Pedestrian access across the bridge will be maintained.
• The overall schedule is for the roads and sidewalks to be open by Thanksgiving. We will provide additional information on the schedule as we get further into the road installation.
• All schedule projections are weather dependent and may require adjustments.
Curb and gutter installation on State Street and preparations for road concrete base underway.
Please use caution when driving through these work sites for the safety of the workers and pedestrians.
Want to be up to date on What's Happening:
Please utilize the “Notify Me” alert system available through the City’s website to receive email or text notifications of construction activities and project updates.
Use the attached link to sign up for the Village/State Street Streetscaping Project at "Notify Me":http://www.wauwatosa.net/list.aspx
As part of the planned State Street reconstruction project the City has taken a comprehensive approach to evaluating design
options for the entire Village area. Since February of 2015 there have been 35 public meetings on this project seeking community input about goals and objectives for the Village, as well as, feedback on design concepts from the general public, surrounding neighborhood associations, The Village Business Improvement District and City engineers and planners.
The project started with the need to replace old infrastructure and road surface along State Street from 68th Street to Church Street. It was determined that the project scope would expand to the entire Village and include streetscaping and wayfinding signage plans. A key objective of this project is to develop a streetscape solution for The Village and State Street that allows for the continued movement of automobile traffic while creating a safe pedestrian-oriented retail and dining destination. The design decisions were made as part of the larger context including other intersections in the Village and the future use of Root Common and Pocket Parks.
(Intersections included are Harmonee/Harwood; State/Wauwatosa; Harwood/Wauwatosa; State/Harwood; Underwood/State; Wauwatosa/Harwood). Those presentations are linked below.
• The project scope for the Phase 1 area scheduled for 2016 construction is: State Street/Menomonee River Parkway between Wauwatosa Avenue and Church Street; Harwood between State Street and Root Common; and Underwood between State Street and Harmonee Avenue. The project went out for bids February 2016 with construction starting in April and lasting until November of 2016.
• There has been some re-naming of the phases given the timing of the construction work and coordination with the railroads for the State Street design.
• Phase 2 is scheduled for winter 2016/spring 2017 and will involve infrastructure and utility upgrades to area surrounding the new State Street Station project. It includes Wauwatosa Ave, State Street, 74th St as well as Blanchard and St James.
• Phase 3 (still in 2017) involves the work on State Street from 68th Street to Wauwatosa and Harmonee intersection and Harwood Ave from Yo Mama’s to Mower Court. This phase will also include renovation of Root Common and Pocket Park.
• Phase 4 will address Harwood west of the Menomonee River to Glenview and Underwood from Harmonee north to Milwaukee Avenue.
The design team is currently working on Phase 3 which includes State Street from 68th to Pocket Park and Root Common and Harwood. The project will include the ongoing discussion for the Railroad Crossing at 74th Street. The majority of this work is anticipated for 2017.
Additional presentation information from past meetings:
2015_11_10 Transportation Committee Presentation
2015_10_28 Detailed review of project components
2015_10_22 Minutes – SSC Meeting 6
2015_08_04 Master Plan Presentation to the Transportation Committee
2015_07_16 Minutes - SSC Meeting 5
2015_07_09 Agenda – SSC Meeting 4
2015_06_18 Minutes - SSC Meeting 3
2015_06_11 Minutes REV - SSC Meeting 2
2015_05_28 Village Design Approach and Mission
2015_05_28 Design Goals Summary
2015_05_19 Public Post It Note comments
2015_05_19 Public Input Meeting 1
2015_02_25 SSC Meeting
2015_02_19 SSC Meeting
Resolution forming Streetscaping Steering Committee (SSC)