The Wauwatosa Police Department recognizes the growing concern surrounding the proper disposal of unused and expired prescriptions and over-the-counter medications.
Proper, societally-safe and environmentally-safe disposal of these medications is imperative. In recognition of these standards, and to offer City of Wauwatosa residents a safe, secure solution to disposing of these medications, the Wauwatosa Police Department has undertaken the following program.
Proper collection and disposal of unwanted medications from residents of the City of Wauwatosa
The following guidelines must be met in order to accept medications.
- Medications will only be accepted from City of Wauwatosa residents.
- The person dropping off the medications must provide proper identification issued by the State of Wisconsin or Milwaukee County to verify their identity and residency.
- Citizens cannot bring prescriptions in for other people unless they are family members.
- Medications will ONLY be accepted Tuesday – Friday, 12:00pm to 5:30pm, at the Wauwatosa Police Station, 1700 N. 116 Street.
- Any of the following will be accepted:
- prescription medication in the original container
- loose medication (including prescription medication)
- over the counter medications
- ointments, creams
- sprays, inhalers
- pet medications
6. The following will NOT be accepted:
- biohazard material
- personal care products (shampoo, soaps, lotions, etc.)
- household hazardous waste (paint, pesticides, oil, or gas)
7. If a person turns in illegal narcotics such as marijuana, this policy does not
apply and a routine investigation will be conducted into the possession of an